Monday, October 6, 2008

three

I have a very romantic idea of what winter is. I'm beginning to realize, though, that my idea of winter compared to actual winter is not quite the same thing. My highly romanticized idea of winter probably comes from living through 24 Southern winters, which is to say no winter at all. I've always longed for snowy winters full of hot chocolate, snow men, and snow ball fights. Now that I am gearing up for my 25th winter here in NYC, I'm beginning to feel the reality of what winter really is. It is cold and windy. The snow gets dirty. Days are dreary. People aren't laughing and acting like they are a part of the movie White Christmas. And that makes me a little sad because it means that I've grown up just a tiny bit more.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey at least it`s winter. Actual cold temperatures. Looking foward to another post.
-Shadow`s pen-

Cheryl said...

As a veteran of 13 Philadelphia winters, I have to say I really don't miss the snow very much. But that first snowfall of the season is always exciting, and getting snowed in isn't half bad either, as long as you're stocked up on snacks and movies. One of the coolest things about winter is going outside when it's quiet (especially at night) and just listening to the snow falling - so peaceful!

Unknown said...

You should come down to St. Louis where there's only 1 foot of snow verses a million feet that you are about to sludge through.

Did I mention that you rock my face off?

Lauren said...

Ewww, cold. I don't envy you that. But hey, you can walk by the ice skaters in Rockefeller and imagine a serendipitous moment between you and John Cusack...or someone equally charming and quirky yet adorable.