Monday, October 20, 2008

six

This weekend saw the death of my beloved iPod. And, yes, Melanie, I got the dead iPod face. I think it has been the most unfortunate thing that has happened since I've been here. Not only did I lose my iPod, but most of the music on it was only on my old backup hard drive that died earlier this year. Actually, it died right after I took most of my music off of my computer. I also lost all of my work I did as an undergraduate designer. But this isn't a eulogy for my long dead hard drive, but for my much beloved iPod. It was a first generation color iPod. And I loved it. (On a happier note, I plan on taking it to an Apple store here and seeing if they can do anything about it. Although, I seriously doubt it, because it is about 4 years old.)

Other than my iPod dying, I went to see a free movie at MoMA Friday night. It was pretty fun. Even though I was the only person under the age of 65 in the theater. But I walked around the museum a little beforehand and looked at some hand painted movie posters from the 20s. Some of them were absolutely amazing.

I read through a good portion of my NYC Free & Dirt Cheap guide. (Thanks Emily!) I plan on heading over to the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens tomorrow, because Tuesdays are free. Yay free things in New York!

I haven't heard anything back from any of the interviews, but I did apply to about 8 more jobs over the course of the weekend and today.

Oh, I officially can't stand David Lynch. For those of you unaware of who he is, he was the creator of Twin Peaks, the mastermind behind the 1984 movie version of Dune, and the writer and director of Blue Velvet. Did I mention that I was mildly intrigued by Twin Peaks, which turned into annoyance after the show became the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen and Dune was laughable at how ridiculous it was. (I know I sound redundant, but no other word adequately describes both of the aforementioned works of film and television.) Blue Velvet, though, was just awful. Awful. Awful. And now, after three tries, David Lynch and I are done. I will not give him another try, nor will I ever, ever, ever give him the benefit of the doubt for not having seen enough of his "master works". We're done David Lynch, and I hope you know it.

On a happier note, I'm glad to be signing off and watching my movie of the day, Rebel Without A Cause. I very much enjoyed East of Eden and highly recommend it to anyone interested. (Kim, have you seen it? I would think so with your James Dean love, but one can never be too sure.) Anyways, that is all. I miss everyone and wish you all could come visit me. But not all at the same time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm so sad about your ipod, but i kind of like that it gave you the dead ipod face. i hope that when my ipod goes, many years from now, i get the dead ipod face.

and isn't dune the movie that i "watched" with you guys last year? i say "watched" because i'm pretty sure i didn't do much "watching". i don't even remember anything except giant worms and a creepy little girl.

miss you.

Amanda said...

Yeah, the dead iPod face was amusing and sad. More sad than anything, though. I already miss Ferdinand tremendously.

YES! I think we played a game, maybe Phase 10, and watched Dune and you sat with your back to the TV the whole time except for the best part of the movie, the creepy sister. Did I ever tell you what happens in the later books? It gets so bizarre.

I miss you, too.

Unknown said...

SAD IPOD DEATH! I know what that's like and I'll tell you the mourning period lasts for months (not to mention the withdrawal you will experience). Just saying, brace yourself.

And yes East of Eden is an amazing movie. I think probably better than Rebel, but Rebel is just so iconic! Is Giant on the list? Then you'll have finished the Dean trilogy and fully experienced the glory that is dreamy, dreamy James Dean!

Amanda said...

Giant is my movie for tonight!

Unknown said...

Yeah, East of Eden! I really liked that one. I didn't like the other two, unfortunately. Giant absolutely sucks, so good luck with that! :D