Monday, March 23, 2009

twenty-nine

Tonight I attended my first free screening that didn't involve Free Fridays at MoMA. I arrived at Union Square early so I decided to hit up Barnes & Noble for it's free public restrooms. While there I did scope out an interesting series, Conversations With Filmmakers. I picked up The Coen Brother's book and read a short interview about Fargo. While it was not the most enlightening article, I have hope for the rest of the series. Kurosawa and Fellini looked particularly interesting. I would love to read interviews with Fellini, although I hope he lives up to the eccentric I envision him to be. In the future I would love to kill some down time in Union Square by reading more from this series. Buying the books is out of the question with prices at $22.95 per book. Sorry University of Mississippi Press, I cannot afford to support you.

The screening I attended was Alien Trespass, a 1950s throwback about a space invasion. The director, RW Goodwin, was available for a short Q&A session after the movie. I enjoyed hearing his inspirations (War of the Worlds, The Day the Earth Stood Still, and It Came from Outer Space) as well as the caveats of working in such a tight niche. I learned that there are people who have specialized in composing film scores specifically for 1950s inspired sci-fi films. Afterwards I had the opportunity to ask him about writing a strong female lead in a genre where women were often viewed as accesories. He felt strong and intersting female leads were lacking from the genre as a whole and sought to integrate that into his film. Also worth noting in the film are the little idiosyncracies placed within the movie, for instance an intentional poorly timed green screen sequence. For more information you can visit the website or even better, go see the movie when it comes out. It won't change your life, but it will be an hour and a half enjoyably spent. (I promise I was not asked to promote this movie. I just wanted to share a pleasantly spent Monday evening.)

2 comments:

Living My Backward's Life (formerly A Michigander Grows in Brooklyn) said...

That sounds like so much fun! I'm glad you had the chance to do something cool!

Amanda said...

It was nice to have the time to do something fun.