Monday, March 30, 2009

thirty-one

As I wrote my post last night I forgot to mention one of the funniest things that happened to me yesterday. While babysitting I was asked quite a few times for a snack or meal by my tiny 4 year charge. She doesn't eat a lot or often, due to a pickiness associated with 4 year olds and my 27 year old boyfriend, so I was happy to oblige her anytime she asked for food. Each time I responded unconsciously with a variation of "I'm fixin' to" or "I'll fix that for you". And each time my gregarious ward would respond, "Fix? You are not going to fix anything." To which I would have to answer, "Forgive me, I meant make, I'm going to make you a sandwich." Sometimes I don't realize when I betray my Southern roots so blantantly, especially to a child who doesn't understand why I'm fixin' to do anything.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Huh? What? I don't get the above reference ... what are you trying to say?

Living My Backward's Life (formerly A Michigander Grows in Brooklyn) said...

I'm fixin' to agree with you about the pickiness of said boyfriend!

Amanda said...

So true.

bubba bo dean said...

Dearest, you need to use proper southern enunciation. The proper way to express this is "fixin'". As in "I'm fixin' to go to work." I understand that you have moved into the lions den of yankeedom, but always be proud of yure suthern' roots (by the way, that is pronounced ruuts).